Honoring Our Vets
Several activities planned in Madison, Ind., for Veterans Day
Ceremonies, special meals
for veterans part of the events
(November 2017) – Veteran’s Day this year is going to be a big day for Madison, Ind., according to Robin Henderson, member of the Clifty Creek Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution and the Jefferson County Veterans Council. Community organizations throughout Jefferson County will be banding together to play host to events that will honor area veterans and those currently serving in our nation’s military.
• Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery, Madison, will hold a ceremony honoring veterans and their families in gratitude for their service and sacrifice at 10 a.m. on Nov. 11. For more information, contact Memorial Park at (812) 273-9220.
• The Madison Railroad will be holding an Open House and dedication for three recently acquired railroad cars from 1-5 p.m. on Nov. 11, on the tracks adjacent to Memorial Park. This will serve as a fitting reminder of the important connection between the railway system and the transportation of U.S. troops, officials say. Two of the cars have been donated by Crane Naval Base and the third, donated by NASA was most recently in service at Kennedy Space Center.
Photo courtesy of Margot Henderson
Flowers were laid across a new war memorial during the dedication ceremony of the memorial July 4 in front of the Jefferson County (Ind.) Courthouse.
“Each of the cars are painted in tribute to veterans, current service men and women, and their families,” said Roger Fuehring, Operation Manager at the Madison Railroad. “For instance, one will be painted in the colors of the Blue Angels and will be dedicated to the U.S. Navy.”
“2018 is the Centennial of World War I, and this year’s Veteran’s Day activities will serve as a kickoff of a year-long celebration in Jefferson County and across the United States,” Henderson shared.
• Veterans and active military will be honored at a parade on Vaughn Drive starting at 3 p.m. on Nov. 11. Following the parade will be a free event at the Brown Gym, 100 Broadway, to recognize past and present members of the military. Activities will include a light meal followed by a brief program and dancing to music from different eras. For more information, call (812) 265-4758.
• The announcement of the winner of the Jefferson County Veterans Banner Project will take place during the celebration at the Brown Gym on Nov. 11. Residents were invited to submit designs for banners that honor Jefferson County veterans and those currently serving in our nation’s military. The winner will receive $250, and the winning banner will be displayed along Vaughn Drive.
• From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Nov. 11, there will be a free meal provided to veterans at the VFW Post 1969, 3100 N. Michigan Rd. For more information, call (812) 273-3001
• On Monday, Nov. 13, the American Legion Post 9 will serve a free dinner to area veterans, 707 Jefferson St. For more information, call (812) 265-4417.
• As in year’s past, area schools will be honoring the service men and women related to their students with programs and celebrations.
Back to November 2017 Articles.